Every place I've ever lived has been designed for that "average American family," with lots of bedrooms, living room, dining room, family room, etc. The problem was that I was a single person, not an average family. I needed space, but for hobbies, not people. And because I'm over 6'2", bending over to use sinks designed for children was a constant frustration. Over the years, I collected a list of things I would change if I could have my dream house. As I approached retirement, I realized time was running out for that house; it was now or never.


Dreams are not always perfect, however. I could never afford my dream house, a spacious Southern California home overlooking the Pacific Ocean. But I could afford a modest ranch house, with a 20-mile drive to the beach. It was a very long way from perfect, but it had potential.


This blog documents the process of turning that small average house into something that matches my lifestyle. It will be as close to my dream house as I can make it. I'm doing all the work myself to stretch my resources. By not hiring contractors, I can afford high quality materials, and I'll know the job is always done right. The remodeling will be my primary avocation for a few years, even as I try to fit in my writing and other hobbies.


It promises to be an interesting journey, and a challenging one!

Monday, July 29, 2013

Writing on Ripley's World has resumed

   I have started writing again after a few years of taking care of my elderly parents 24/7, and Ripley's World is the primary beneficiary.  I had finished a draft years ago that was too short -- about 50,000 words.  Over the last four or five months I outlined a longer version, with a new subplot, a major makeover of one of the characters, and more complete development of the plot.  I've also attended to details that better link the evolution of the main characters and the Samsara world with the other novels in the series.  The current rewrite has added about 15,000 words, bringing the total length to a bit over 65,000 words (within the range for a proper, albeit short, novel).

   I should be finished with a complete draft by early August, and then plan to write a book chronicling my home care experiences (yes, non-fiction), a book that should bring in significant revenues (and what struggling writer can't use some sustaining income?).  Pushing Twilight:  Home Care for Parents in Their Final Years.  That should not take more than a couple of months, as I will be working from about 400 single-spaced pages of daily medical and care logs (four years worth).  When that is complete, I will be able to put fresh eyes on the Ripley's World draft for a final polish.

  After that, the Daughtry's World early prequel beckons, and perhaps after that, the Samsara sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment