Every place I've ever lived has been designed for that "average American family," with lots of bedrooms, living room, dining room, family room, etc. The problem was that I was a single person, not an average family. I needed space, but for hobbies, not people. And because I'm over 6'2", bending over to use sinks designed for children was a constant frustration. Over the years, I collected a list of things I would change if I could have my dream house. As I approached retirement, I realized time was running out for that house; it was now or never.


Dreams are not always perfect, however. I could never afford my dream house, a spacious Southern California home overlooking the Pacific Ocean. But I could afford a modest ranch house, with a 20-mile drive to the beach. It was a very long way from perfect, but it had potential.


This blog documents the process of turning that small average house into something that matches my lifestyle. It will be as close to my dream house as I can make it. I'm doing all the work myself to stretch my resources. By not hiring contractors, I can afford high quality materials, and I'll know the job is always done right. The remodeling will be my primary avocation for a few years, even as I try to fit in my writing and other hobbies.


It promises to be an interesting journey, and a challenging one!

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

New Laundry/Mechanicals Room - Part 8

I've been plugging away on the laundry room, finishing off the drywall (as in joint compound and paint, not as in actually finishing it), installing trim on the window, and finally addressing the out-of-level floor.

I've been putting bullnose corner bead on all the drywall corners, 1) because I think it looks better, and 2) because I tend to cut corners when I'm walking in a house, with my shoulder often colliding with the sharp corner, finished with metal edging, and it hurts.  The round corner edge is much nicer.  This is what it looks like before joint compound and paint:


I finished the electrical panel installation, but before closing it in, I installed a flexible plastic conduit from the breaker panel recess through the wall up to the attic.  The breaker box now has one empty breaker slot, so if I want to add another circuit in the future, I won't have to cut open the wall—I can just unscrew the panel (see second photo below), and snake a new electrical cable through the conduit.



The second photo above also shows the bare concrete floor before leveling.  The left half of the floor needed to be raised about a half-inch to be flush with the floor on the right side of the room.  I used two types of masonry products to level the floor.  The "floor leveler" is a product that is mixed very thin and is poured out over the floor to be leveled.  It flows out like water, but thicker.  You have to spread it around over the area you want to level, but once you do that, it flows out flat.  I would have used just that product, but I would have needed about a bag and a half, and didn't want to buy two 50-pound bags (at about $30/bag) and have half-a-bag left over.

So first I mixed some thin-set mortar (used to install ceramic tile on a floor) and roughly applied about a quarter-inch layer on the part of the floor to be raised.  This didn't need to be level, because the leveler would go on top.  But it meant my one bag of leveler would be all that was needed.

This is the floor after the thin-set mortar went on:


And this is with the thinner leveler poured on top:


Nice and smooth!  The rest of the floor isn't all flat and level, but close enough to level the tiles by making adjustments to the thickness of the mortar.

Now I need to order the rest of the tile.  While waiting for that to come in, the plan is to build the platform for the washer and dryer, and scrape and stain the underside of the roof eves and fascia on the back of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment