Every place I've ever lived has been designed for that "average American family," with lots of bedrooms, living room, dining room, family room, etc. The problem was that I was a single person, not an average family. I needed space, but for hobbies, not people. And because I'm over 6'2", bending over to use sinks designed for children was a constant frustration. Over the years, I collected a list of things I would change if I could have my dream house. As I approached retirement, I realized time was running out for that house; it was now or never.


Dreams are not always perfect, however. I could never afford my dream house, a spacious Southern California home overlooking the Pacific Ocean. But I could afford a modest ranch house, with a 20-mile drive to the beach. It was a very long way from perfect, but it had potential.


This blog documents the process of turning that small average house into something that matches my lifestyle. It will be as close to my dream house as I can make it. I'm doing all the work myself to stretch my resources. By not hiring contractors, I can afford high quality materials, and I'll know the job is always done right. The remodeling will be my primary avocation for a few years, even as I try to fit in my writing and other hobbies.


It promises to be an interesting journey, and a challenging one!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Pottery Studio — Part 4

And so it goes.  This time new windows in the north side of the pottery studio, replacing the old single-glazed slider and tall skinny fixed side windows (with their flimsy aluminum frames) with an insulated Andersen picture window over an awning window (same pair as in the kitchen).

As seems to be the case with my window replacements, the new windows are different sizes, different types, and in new locations than the old windows, so it's never a matter of removing the old window and sliding in the new one.  I end up reframing the wall.

To see what's inside the wall, I first remove the drywall.


In this case, I was happy to find out I could leave the old header in place, saving a lot of work.  I needed to relocate an electrical receptacle for the pottery wheel to a more convenient place (the old location will be behind a shelf unit).  I discovered that someone had drilled holes through multiple studs for an electrical cable where mine needed to go, but for some reason had not actually routed a cable through said holes (but more work saved).  The old receptacle box becomes a junction box.



I removed the side windows first, and discovered the builders had not covered the studs with sheathing, but had applied the masonite shingles directly to the studs.  I applied plywood sheathing.


With the side windows removed and covered over, I tackled the center slider.  I needed to remove all the framing in the center section to make way for new framing to accommodate the new windows.  Left a big hole . . .


Then the new framing went in.


Then sheathing, black roofing felt, waterproof rubber membrane, and the windows . . .


Back inside, I insulated the new wall and put up drywall.  Here some of the joint compound has already been applied.


After finishing the taping (joint compound, etc.), and a first coat of paint, I started installing the window jambs and trim (but have run out of trim stock at this point).


So the inside needs some more trim on the picture window, caulking, installation of the electrical receptacle, and semi-gloss white on the trim, and another coat of eggshell yellow on the walls.  Outside—just getting started.


I've put on a second layer of roofing felt.  Now in preparation for the stucco, I need to add metal weep channel along the bottom of the wall, and then the wire mesh can go on.  With that on, I'll put on corner reinforcement wire, and then start applying the stucco.

After that, I'll likely start putting down the new tile floor, at least in the front of the pottery studio, and continue with the wiring and water supply lines in the new master bathroom.  I'd also like to get the new windows installed in the workshop and master bedroom, but that may get put off.  Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment